- 1 What influenced musical theatre?
- 2 What genres influenced the development of the Broadway musical?
- 3 What genres influenced musical theater?
- 4 What influenced Broadway jazz?
- 5 What are the 4 elements of musical Theatre?
- 6 What are the basic elements of musical play theater?
- 7 Which is the best example of musical theater?
- 8 How did musical theater impact society?
- 9 What was the very first musical?
- 10 What are the 3 main building blocks of a musical?
- 11 What are the 3 main components of a musical?
- 12 Why is musical Theatre so popular?
- 13 What is unique about Broadway jazz?
- 14 Which jazz style is based on improvisation & Culture?
- 15 Who is the best jazz dancer in the world?
What influenced musical theatre?
Musicals. The Musical, like jazz, is a quintessentially American art form; and like our country, it has been forged from many influences: comic opera, operetta, English music hall, minstrel shows, vaudeville and others.
What genres influenced the development of the Broadway musical?
Music Prior to the Book Musical Still, the style of music varied a lot with operetta bearing the heaviest European influence and the minstrel show and musical comedy offering that American Tin Pan Alley sound, which was often connected to jazz, blues, ragtime or folk music.
What genres influenced musical theater?
In fact ‘contemporary could cover the last 50 years in musical theatre as defined by its being influenced by popular music styles (and the number of revivals), ranging from Motown, Rock & Country (The Wiz, Hair, Tommy) to Pop, Bollywood & Jazz (Rent, Aida, Bombay Dreams).
What influenced Broadway jazz?
Jazz dance has been greatly influenced by social dance and popular music. But, like so much that is “from America”, the history of jazz dance begins somewhere else. The origins of jazz music and dance are found in the rhythms and movements brought to America by African slaves.
What are the 4 elements of musical Theatre?
What are the 4 elements of musical Theatre?
- catchy music in a popular style.
- solo songs, duets, choruses and ensembles.
- orchestra or band accompaniment.
- spoken dialogue.
- dance sequences, stage spectacles and magnificent costumes.
What are the basic elements of musical play theater?
Basic Music Elements
- Sound (overtone, timbre, pitch, amplitude, duration)
- Expression (dynamics, tempo, articulation)
Which is the best example of musical theater?
WOS100: The top 100 Musicals of all time!
- Les Misérables. The 2014 cast of Les Miserables.
- Wicked. Savannah Stevenson (Glinda) and Willemijn Verkaik (Elphaba) in Wicked.
- The Phantom of the Opera. Phantom of the Opera.
- West Side Story. West Side Story.
- Blood Brothers.
- The Book of Mormon.
- Matilda the Musical.
- Miss Saigon.
How did musical theater impact society?
In addition to teaching self-expression, the performing arts help society as a whole in self-knowledge and understanding. Theatre and the performing arts teach society about itself, hoping to point out the attitudes and mindsets of current society. It can be a tool used to educate people about their current conditions.
What was the very first musical?
The first original theatre piece in English that conforms to the modern conception of a musical, adding dance and original music that helped to tell the story, is generally considered The Black Crook, which premiered in New York on September 12, 1866.
What are the 3 main building blocks of a musical?
Music is comprised of 3 elements: Melody, Harmony, and Rhythm.
What are the 3 main components of a musical?
The three main components of a book musical are its music, lyrics and book.
Why is musical Theatre so popular?
As for why musicals are so popular, Friedman said, “It’s a fun entertainment,” and, “People want to be entertained.” As for the evolution of the form, where musicals came from, Friedman said, “They definitely evolved out of opera” and that musicals were “essentially opera with dialogue.”
What is unique about Broadway jazz?
Broadway dance is performed in plays. It opened a new curious crowd just discovering the interesting fusion of ballet with dramatic acting. Syncopation is used often in jazz and is a characteristic in Broadway jazz. The “off beat” rhythm helps actors and singers (in musicals) consist timing in dialogue as well.
Which jazz style is based on improvisation & Culture?
Bebop emerged in the 1940s, shifting jazz from danceable popular music toward a more challenging “musician’s music” which was played at faster tempos and used more chord-based improvisation. Cool jazz developed near the end of the 1940s, introducing calmer, smoother sounds and long, linear melodic lines.
Who is the best jazz dancer in the world?
15 Most Famous Jazz Dancers That Made it to the Zenith
- Lester Horton. January 23, 1906 – November 2, 1953.
- Katherine Dunham. June 22, 1909 – May 21, 2006.
- Jack Cole. April 27, 1911 – February 17, 1974.
- Gene Kelly. August 23, 1912 – February 2, 1996.
- Jerome Robbins.
- Matt Mattox.
- Eugene Louis Facciuto or Luigi.
- Gwen Verdon.